[jdt-core-dev] Re: Want to help

Hello Jens,

Thanks for your interest in improving the Java tooling (you can subscribe
to the jdt-core-dev/jdt-ui-dev lists in order to get in touch with us more
easily). The two domains you have selected are located either in the
JDT/UI or JDT/Core. We realized that this might not be obvious for you to
figure this out, and will try to improve our project pages to better
reflect responsibilities.

* Refactoring : we currently are under the progress of implementing a new
JDOM abstract syntax tree (i.e. a set of API allowing to manipulate in a
structured way Java sources, down to an individual expression, and
optionally carrying some resolved type information, like resolved method
signature etc...).
This effort is on the JDT/Core side, and will better enable refactoring in
term. Of course, refactoring is not the only target for these API, but it
clearly is a good testcase. This API is visible at: http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.jdt.core/notes/r2.0/jdom%20ast/ast.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

* Code formatter: the current implementation is somewhat limited in the
sense it does not easily allow to plug custom patterns in it. We are
thinking of changing it radically, but likely after the 2.0 release. Now
this could change, especially if you are thinking of helping us...

In order to better understand our current plans, you can check our project
page at:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/jdt-core-home/main.html

Sincerly,
Philippe Mulet