Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] Approval announcemens

You are correct on many levels.  I write not to debunk your points, but to support them and give some of my perspective on where we are.

First, the post [1] should never have happened via our blog and I consider that an oversight on my part and not a pattern I'd want to see us continue as a community. NoSQL is an oddball in that it was an attempt by the Jakarta EE Working Group to show interim progress -- the official Jakarta EE Specification Process was still being created.

Going forward, here's the process that should be used:

 - https://www.eclipse.org/projects/efsp/#efsp-version-lifecycle

My expectation is that this process will be carried out at least as openly as the JCP.  Specifically proposals will be public as will vote results, including who voted what and any comments they may have with their vote.  In the JCP results are not published until voting is over, which I think is fine.  As long as they do get published that's what's important, IMO.

In terms of NoSQL, I recall Bill Shannon strongly advocating "when we finish the Jakarta EE Specification Process we will need to come back and officially put NoSQL through it."  There were nods at the time, but I don't know if that decision was officially made.  I don't believe we went back and put it through an official creation review -- if we did, I missed it and the process is too subtle for even me to notice and I'm on the Specification Committee.

If it is now an official project and we did not formally go through the Creation Review, maybe we want to do that just so our first project has some public record that represents what we expect from all future projects.

Either way, your note is great.  Macro-level, I think we're still pretty far from where we want to be, but getting closer.  That doesn't mean everyone should stop sending feedback like yours, it means more should.  It's ok to talk about where we want to be.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins