[jakarta.ee-wg] Specification acronyms

Hi all,

I'm not sure where the best place to ask this question is, so I'm cross posting this to the community, PMC and WG lists.

I would like to kindly ask for some clarification about how to deal with the popular Java EE specification acronyms like JPA, JAX-RS, EJB, etc in the future. A few people mentioned that Jakarta EE must not use these acronyms anymore, but AFAIK there wasn't any official statement about that.
  • Mike mentioned in his blog post that some acronyms like EJB, JPA or JAX-RS need to change
  • Ivar wrote that it would be up to the spec committee to define guidelines or restrictions regarding the use of acronyms.
  • Bill noted that details about this issue are wrapped up in the negotiations between Oracle and the EF
Could anyone please provide some insights? Especially regarding these questions:
  • Can Jakarta EE continue to use the old acronyms like EJB, JAX-RS and so on? If no, which ones are forbidden? I guess the ones containing a "J" which stands for "Java"?
  • If we are not allowed to keep the old acronyms, should each project find a new acronym or should we prevent any kind of acronym like suggested by Ivar? Has there been any discussions about this so far?
Thanks a lot!

Christian