[jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes from September 11 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Minutes of September 11 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Attendees:

Fujitsu: Kenji Kazumura, Mike Denicola
IBM: Dan Bandera
Oracle: Will Lyons
Payara: not present
Red Hat: Scott Stark
Tomitribe:  David Blevins, Richard
Martijn Verburg
Ivar Grimstad

Eclipse: Mike Milinkovich

Review of Minutes from Prior Meeting

The minutes of the August 28 and Sept 4 meetings were approved.

Budget Update

1) Mark Little has confirmed in email that "given the IP flow caveat, Red Hat can commit to the $300k a year funding".

We have funding commitments from IBM, Red Hat, Tomitribe, Payara and Oracle.    We do not have a funding commitment for next year from Fujitsu per earlier discussions.
2) Per the Sept 4 meeting, Paul White drafted a set of resolutions that cover Working Group fees for review.
The following resolutions were unanimously approved:

RESOLVED, the requirement for joining the Jakarta EE Working Group is modified to enable any of Strategic, Enterprise or Solutions members of the Eclipse Foundation to join the Jakarta EE Working Group as a Strategic, Enterprise, or Participant member.

RESOLVED, the requirement for joining the Jakarta EE Working Group as a Strategic member is modified to require the member to join for a period of three (3) years.

RESOLVED, the annual membership fees shown in Schedule A below are adopted for each of class of membership in Jakarta EE.

RESOLVED, the Jakarta EE Charter is amended to reflect these requirements and annual membership fees.

RESOLVED, the EMO is requested to draft a Participation Agreement that reflects these fees and membership requirements, as well as any other considerations the EMO so recommends; and in addition, that the Participation Agreement include the equivalent of the following contingency statement: “that Strategic members have a one-time option to withdraw their strategic membership and associated funding after 2019; this option must be executed prior to September 30, 2019, and may only be executed if no progress on enabling evolution of the current Java EE 8 technologies is made, including Java EE 8 specifications and including javax namespace evolution (use of javax namespace for current specifications - no use of javax in net new specifications).”

RESOLVED, the EMO is requested to contact each member in the Jakarta EE Working Group no later than January 1, 2019 to arrange for their execution of the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement, and all members who fail to execute the Agreement within 90 days of being contacted will be removed from the Jakarta EE Working Group until such time as they do execute the Agreement.

Jakarta EE Working Group Annual Participation Fees
Schedule A

The following are the annual fees associated with each class of membership in the Jakarta EE Working Group.  All fees are in USD.

  • The following requirements are included:
  • The fees for all classes of Jakarta EE membership are $0 for calendar 2018.
  • The fees for Enterprise and Participant membership are $0 for calendar 2018 and calendar 2019.
  • All members are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement.  All strategic members are required to commit to three (3) years of membership.

Jakarta EE Strategic Member Annual Participation Fees

Strategic members pay $0 in fee for 2018.

Strategic members are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement, and to begin paying the fees shown below effective January 1, 2019.

Strategic members are required to commit to three (3) years of membership.

Corporate Revenue - Annual Fees

Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $1 billion - $300,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $500 million but less than or equal to $1 billion - $200,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $100 million but less than or equal to $500 million - $100,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $10 million but less than or equal to $100 million - $50,000
Annual Corporate Revenues less than or equal to $10 million - $25,000

Jakarta EE Enterprise Member Annual Participation Fees

Enterprise members pay $0 in fees for 2018 and 2019.

Enterprise members are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement, and to begin paying the fees shown below effective January 1, 2020.

Corporate Revenue - Annual Fees

Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $1 billion
- $50,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $500 million but less than or equal to $1 billion - $35,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $100 million but less than or equal to $500 million - $20,000
Annual Corporate Revenues less than or equal to $100 million - $10,000

Jakarta EE Participant Member Annual Participation Fees

Solutions members pay $0 in fees for 2018 and 2019.

Solutions members are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement, and to begin paying the fees shown below effective January 1, 2020.

Corporate Revenue - Annual Fees

Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $1 billion
- $20,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $500 million but less than or equal to $1 billion - $15,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $100 million but less than or equal to $500 million - $10,000
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $10 million but less than or equal to $100 million - $7,500
Annual Corporate Revenues less than or equal to $10 million - $5,000
Annual Corporate Revenues less than $1 million and < 10 employees - $0

Jakarta EE Committer Member Annual Participation Fees
Committer members pay no annual fees, but are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement.
Jakarta EE Guest Member Annual Participation Fees
Guest members pay no annual fees, but are required to execute the Jakarta EE Participation Agreement.

3) Paul White will follow up on process to get charter updated reflecting the above.

4) Paul will draft a budget resolution, reflecting the above.

5) In the August 28 Steering Committee meeting, Tomitribe and the Eclipse Foundation agreed to work offline the specific case of Apache TomEE ability to use the Jakarta EE brand and membership fees.  David Blevins has provided details of the case in question in email to the Steering Committee.  The suggestion is that the Steering Comittee can request that the Apache Software Foundation can join the Jakarta EE Working Group as a "guest" member (with no annual fees per above).   In effect Tomitribe would be a strategic member on behalf of ASF, and would allow for TomEE to be officially certified.

Paul and David will follow up on this offline.

Updates on Oracle contributions

The TCK sources have been contributed and are under IP review at Eclipse.

Under IP review in Eclipse.

We reviewed a contribution schedule for completion of the GlassFish contirbutions and Java EE certification.,   Dmitry will forward a schedule to SC by tomorrow.

Discuss Building Momentum for Jakarta EE discussed in the last Steering Committee meeting (email content in italics)

We propose the following to build momentum for Jakarta EE, and would like to discuss these topics in the next Steering Committee meeting below.

1. Release Eclipse GlassFish and certify it as Java EE 8 compatible by Oracle CodeOne / EclipseCon Europe.

This effort will provide an implementation of Java EE and Jakarta EE that the Jakarta EE community can evolve.  Oracle has invested a substantial amount of effort in this, and continues to do so, in order to achieve a shared goal we have discussed and agreed to as a group.   This is an important milestone and Oracle remains committed to deliver it.  However, contributions to this effort from other Working Group members would accelerate delivery, improve community collaboration, and facilitate transfer of technology ownership.

Each of the EE4J projects have project leads identified.   Each of the EE4J projects needs to be released and a task in the project’s issue tracker has been opened to track this activity.   For example, see: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/servlet-api/issues/195

We would welcome project leads, or other committers, to take the initiative to:
•    Review the release documents and prepare to release these projects, or recruit and encourage other community members to do so, and..
•    Update the appropriate Jira issues reflecting your plans
•    Let Ed and Dmitry know if you will take on responsibility for releasing the project in question

There has been some response on this recently and we'd like to continue the momentum.   Dmitry has created a Google spreadsheet for tracking progress:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8inaprMOjnq04hU2o76egHhC8AF3-vNvqjRq6GR0eM/edit#gid=0

Notes from Steering Committee discussion:   We still request more support in this area.
Dmitry will send another note requesting support to the community tonight, and a training webinar is scheduled for Sept 11. The Spec Committee will address the decision on Maven groupId to be used for all specifications to be published by Jakarta EE.

2. Create a roadmap for definition of a specification process by the end of the year

One requirement for completing definition of a spec process is execution of legal agreements between Oracle and the Eclipse Foundation.   With support of our executive management, we are requesting acceleration of this process.   We are asking our Legal team to set a target for delivery of a draft Trademark License Agreement.  We will also request that once a draft is available that our counsels meet face to face regularly to resolve issues with agreements more quickly.

However, most of the spec process can be defined independently of the above agreements.   Bill Shannon will be sending a separate document detailing work items that we should address now, independent of the legal agreements.  Ideally we define public milestones some of which are achievable by Code One / EclipseCon Europe.   Please look for a note from Bill.

Notes from Steering Committee discussion: We will have an update at the next SC meeting.

3. Announce commitment to Working Group funding

Assuming we collectively commit to a funding model, we should communicate this externally.   We expect to make progress on this topic in the next Steering Committee meeting.

Notes from Steering Committee discussion:  This information will be shared publicly to the Jakarta EE Working Group via meeting minutes.  Mike Denicola will ask Mktg Committee for input on how much to promote.

4. Demonstrate successful execution of the contributed TCKs

Java EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish will be based on existing Oracle TCK binaries.

We have stated that a next step following Java EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish would be Jakarta EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish.   This step depends on definition of a Jakarta EE 8 specification (discussed in #2 above), and successful execution of the contributed TCKs, which we intend to become the Jakarta EE 8 TCKs, on Eclipse GlassFish.

We would like affirmation from this group that Jakarta EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish, including demonstration of successful execution of the contributed TCKs, remains a shared goal.   Oracle will drive this overall effort, but requests that project leads, with contribution from other Working Group members and other community members, take ownership for driving successful execution of the contributed TCKs in their area.

Notes from Steering Committee discussion: This remains a shared goal of this group.  Progress on this is possible by Code One/ECE but not likely?  Our messaging should not rely on this.

5. Define distributed ownership of Jakarta EE technology areas and directions

Oracle regards ownership of technology areas as a shared responsibility going forward, not as an Oracle driven activity as in Java EE.   We would like to drive a process where we move from the Oracle-driven project leadership model that we have today to a model where project leadership is more distributed across the Working Group and the community, and where project leads define directions for individual projects.

We propose scheduling a meeting in September to review the project list and more clearly demonstrate distributed project ownership and project direction, with the intent to publish for the community by Code One.  As part of this effort recommend identifying those technologies that we expect to invest in and evolve, and those we do not plan to invest in.

This is related to item #1, but was not specifically discussed during the meeting.

6. Commit to Code One/ECE messaging

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Bgh5rP1qKJdATlQ5ZC-ceJ9AFvHq8lq8_xFrarnlH0/edit

Notes from Discussion:

    This document will need to be updated regarding the GlassFish contribution schedule.I can make many of the suggested updates.

    I think we should add a message regarding funding commitments.

    I can add Microprofile reference.

    Need to discuss what can be said about the specification process.

    We will need to discuss next week.

Code One/ECE presence

Would like to discuss in detail next week.    Are certain Code One talks open for "panel" discussion?

Legal Documents

The TCK License Agreement is signed.

Oracle Legal is working on the TM license agreement. We have requested a date for a draft.

Eclipse Foundation would like to discuss JakartaOne

Target May/June 2019 timeframe.  Will discuss at the next meeting.

Marketing Committee Update (not discussed)

PMC Update (See discussion above regarding project releases)

Recruitment of new members; Elections (no time for discussion during the meeting)

Open issue - will there be an additional PMC representative on the Steering Committee.

Planned Jakarta EE certifications (no time for discussion during the meeting)

What other app servers, besides GlassFish can we expect on Jakarta EE 8 - get input from Steering Committee.
         Wildfly - name clarification needed from RedHat ?
         IBM Liberty
         Fujitsu
         Payara - ?
         Weblogic - ?