[incquery-dev] Oomph setup for EMF-IncQuery

Hi,

I have created an Oomph setup model for EMF-IncQuery and it is available in the repo for anyone to try:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/incquery/org.eclipse.incquery.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.incquery.setup/incquery.setup

For those who don't know what Oomph is, here's the project page: https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.oomph and here's Ed's blog post about it: http://ed-merks.blogspot.it/2014/02/shoes-for-shoemaker.html
The most important is that Oomph makes contributing to Eclipse based projects very easy by automatically setting up a development environment instead of going through lengthy step-by-step manual instructions.

To try this setup, you have to follow (a much shorter) step-by-step instruction :)
1. Download the Oomph Setup Installer from: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Installer
2. Run the setup tool, select a product (e.g. Eclipse SDK) and a version (e.g. Latest release (Luna))
  - If the bundle pool is checked, then plugins are put into a central locations and several Eclipse installations can reuse this cache. This makes the individual installations light-weight and deployment of new installations faster.
3. Click next, then drag and drop the .setup file onto the "Eclipse.org" item in the treeview on the Projects page. This will create a <User> item
4. Double-click on EMF-IncQuery to add it to the selection. Multiple projects can be added, and each project can define several streams (e.g. ours has a master and a 0.8-maintenance one).
5. Click next, then you will have to fill the Variables view. I think most of the variable are self-explanatory, however to avoid mistakes, the "installation location" should be an empty directory (e.g. /usr/demo/oomph/incquery-master), since it will directly put the eclipse folder inside that.
6. Click finish and follow instructions. Oomph will show you the list of setup tasks that it will execute, which includes downloading from p2 update sites, cloning the git repository, importing projects, setting up a target platform and creating working sets.
7. Once the bootstrap tasks are done, the new Eclipse will start and the startup tasks will be executed. If all goes well, at the end you will get a nice, crispy and ready environment. Note that the language generation workflows are also called automatically, so it will prompt you that the projects contain errors. That is normal, so click yes. However, after each generation, wait a bit as the workspace refresh needs to settle before starting the next workflow.
8. The only thing that should contain compile errors is the testing part, since I cannot (yet) bootstrap the generation of testing.queries

Some notes:
- I have been trying out Oomph for several months now, have read a lot about it, looked at some of it's source, filed bug reports, written to the forums. There may be some important information that I forgot to include in this description, if so, feel free to ask.
- Since Ed and Eike Stepper were quite busy developing, the documentation on Oomph ranges from non-existent to dated. The best way to learn it is to deploy an Oomph project Eclipse through the installer and look at the setup models of other projects.
- Once we are happy with the setup, we can ask the Oomph developers to add our setup to the list of Eclipse.org projects. Which means that it will be listed for _everyone_ who uses Oomph and hopefully lower the entry for contrubitons
- I will put a more detailed version of this description to the Eclipse wiki at some point.
- There's several improvements that can be still added, such as our formatter and copyright headers, etc.
- You can see the Mylyn Task list view in the deployed Eclipse, but you can also open the Builds view from from the Mylyn cetagory, this shows the status of our build jobs on hudson.

Have fun,
  Ábel Hegedüs

Fault Tolerant Systems Research Group
Department of Measurement and Information Systems