Re: [incquery-dev] QE "attach" feature, bugzilla email storm

Hi,

> Sorry for the storm of emails from bugzilla. I have attempted to clear things up a bit in preparation for our 0.8 release. Please do comment on the bugs to help focus our work for the upcoming 2 months even more.

I have reviewed a large number of tickets (especially the ones assigned to me).

There are quite a few of them that relate to the type calculation/type inference. In Xtext 2.4 the Xbase-related type inference got through a large change, but it was not completed (internally the code used both the old and the new version); and the old version was deprecated. This update will require a large effort to follow in our type inference code.

I would recommend that we postpone this large-scale refactor to the next release for two reasons:
 1) Lack of resources, both on the implementation and the testing side.
 2) AFAIK in Xtext 2.5 these changes were completed, so it makes better sense to wait until all changes until we drop support for Xtext 2.4 (not planned for IncQuery 0.8), and then update all type inference code alltogether.

On the other hand, this means, we should focus only on critical type inference issues in 0.8, and push forward the other ones. Of course, what is critical, is more-or-less open to interpretation.

Cheers,
Zoli
-- Zoltán Ujhelyi
https://www.inf.mit.bme.hu/en/members/ujhelyiz