Re: [imp-dev] "Interesting" case of dynamic language registration

[ This conversation also took place on Bugzilla bug Bug 331751]

[ Ooh, the meta-ness of all of this is giving me chills. :-) You want to extend the
extension mechanism... ]

This sounds entirely reasonable to me. In essence, given that we already
support dynamically registering languages, you now need a way to trigger that
early enough at startup.

Here's my first-cut proposal:

Let's create an extension point for the following interface:

  public interface LanguageRegistrar {
      public void registerLanguages(LanguageRegistry registry);
  }

This would be called by the LanguageRegistry after the normal registration
process is complete.

Sound good?

BTW, I don't know that the following helps any, but I've recently committed
changes to support dynamic language registration when bundles are
activated/deactivated. I've been using this as part of my work on resuscitating
the source formatting rule editor. The editor can now be run in the same
workbench as the rest of IMP!

Seems to work pretty well, though I still have to fix a bug or two in some code
that asks the PDE for all the defined extensions (installed +
workspace-resident).