[imp-dev] Re: [imp-commit] r21620 - in org.eclipse.imp.pdb/trunk: META-INF src/org/eclipse/imp/pdb src/org/eclipse/imp/pdb/analysis src/org/eclipse/imp/pdb/indexing src/org/eclipse/imp/pdb/indexing/internal

Hi Jurgen,

The main (only?) problem with Rascal, as nice as it is, is that it only works with SDF-generated parsers. (Right?)

We've had this Catch-22 problem regarding transformation for a long time now:

 1) We'd like to support arbitrary parsers, but
2) We don't like the ugliness that results from wrapping parser- generated ASTs APIs to adapt them to a generic pattern matcher/ transformer. [org.eclipse.imp.xform took this approach, and it's... well... somewhat repulsive. But maybe I'm being a bit squeamish here.]

Perhaps we just have to bite the bullet and say that if you want a good matching/transformation story, you have to use SDF+Rascal.

But if we do, we're crossing a threshold that's antithetical to IMP's stated goal of technology-agnosticism.

I guess I'm not sure I'm ready to cross that threshold.

On the other hand, perhaps we can do both: have an ugly but workable story for arbitrary parsers/ASTs, and a much nicer story for one or more specific, well-behaved forms of ASTs (like SDF).

What do others think?

IMO, this is a fairly important decision for the project.