Re: [imp-dev] More documentation on LPG/JikesPG?

Yes, the docs are somewhat out of date, I'm afraid. But the good news is that questions here (or on the SourceForge forum) won't go unanswered. :-)

The '$' means "suppress storing the given token in the AST. If that's not done, the parentheses (which are basically just punctuation) would be stored as separate fields in the AST node for the functionHeader production rule.

It's the degenerate case of a "$foo" suffix, which is used to identify the name of the field/method used to access the given RHS symbol.