Re: [imp-dev] Integrating with existing Eclipse-based IDEs - what can IMP do for me?

Clemens,

I don't have a very clear picture of what you're trying to do.  As Jin suggests, IMP, DLTK, and EPIC are different kinds of tools or platforms and have different positions with regard to language support (representation, tooling, runtime/debug).

Can you say more about what your third API is and what the integration is supposed to achieve?

I haven't worked on org.eclipse.imp.analysis or made use of it.  It should help you in implementing AST-based analyses.  I can't comment on its readiness for use, though.

More broadly, IMP is not an IDE but is metatooling mainly to facilitate the development of IDE services or features.  Many of these are oriented around the editor but some are not.  The IDE developer must provide basic parsing services and an AST representation.  The IMP runtime for editing and other services generally rely on these.  Strictly speaking, the language tooling and AST representation are not part of or provided by IMP, although IMP does come "bundled" with the LPG parser generator which can be used to generate a parser and AST representation.  Other approaches to parsing/AST support can also be accommodated.

Given an implementation of the parsing services and AST representation, IMP provides leverage for development of IDE services.  The image below gives an indication of services currently addressed (this is the IMP contribution to the Eclipse "New" menu).  It's not clear if any of these would be helpful for your purposes.  However, even if they don't address your main focus you may still find some of them nice to have.

If you can clarify your use case (or the problem that you're trying to solve) that would enable us to give you a better answer.  Otherwise, we might ask, what do you want IMP to do for you?

Regards,

Stan

Stan Sutton, Ph. D.
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA
telephone:  1-914-784-7316, FAX:  1-914-784-7455, T/L 863
e-mail:  suttons@xxxxxxxxxx, Stan Sutton/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

Jin Mingjian <jin.phd@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: imp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/15/2009 12:49 AM

Please respond to
IMP Developers List <imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

IMP Developers List <imp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [imp-dev] Integrating with existing Eclipse-based IDEs - what can        IMP do for me?

Very possible. But the use cases for using both DLTK and IMP seem not
existed now. But some codes should be provided in the exmaple
project.(check svn)

regards,
Jin