Re: [imp-dev] Use of org.eclipse.zest in pdb.ui

Actually, as I see it, there's a significant *skilled* user base that probably
wouldn't bother installing GEF, were it not for such a dependency. I
usually don't install it, for want of any compelling reason.

Also, one good general principle is "the fewer dependencies, the
better" (all other things being equal).

That said, looking at the GEF download site, the size of Zest + Draw2D
is around 3M, while for all of GEF is about 8M, so that's arguably not a
huge difference (compared to the rest of the Eclipse SDK). And you're
probably right that including all of GEF is more user-friendly than
requiring just a part of it.

So, IMHO it's fine for pdb.ui to depend on GEF, but I'd still like to put
the pdb UI code in a separate feature with the appropriate feature-
level dependencies.

Remember, the default/generic visualizations in pdb.ui will probably
be more useful for development and debugging of IDEs than for the
end-users of the IDEs.