[imp-dev] Java 6-specific code in XMLReader

Hi All,

The latest versions of XMLReader.read() and XMLWriter.write() in the
PDB plugin refer to a constructor flavor on java.io.IOException that takes
an "Exception cause" argument in addition to the message string.

Unfortunately, that flavor only exists in Java 6:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/IOException.html#IOException(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.Throwable)

[Note the "since 1.6" tag in the JavaDoc.]

We do currently require at least Java 5, but we don't want to start requiring
Java 6 just yet.

As a workaround, I've made the change to incorporate the message from
the "cause" exception in the message handed to the IOException constructor.

That said, this points out a minor problem with our project build configurations: although they specify Java 5 source compliance, they're all(?) configured to use the "workspace default JRE", which can vary from developer to developer.

I strongly recommend that we modify our project configurations to explicitly
specify a Java 5-compliant JRE by adding a "JRE System Library" to the
Java Build Path, and specify the "Execution environment" of "J2SE-1.5".

I've made this change locally, and everything seems to be fine.

Unless there are strong objections, I'll commit the changes to the project
configs ASAP.

--
Cheers,
  - Bob