Re: [imp-dev] SDF, Box (and ASF+SDF Meta-Environment) deployment on Eclipse platform plan

Jurgen Vinju wrote:
Hi Bob,

You had some good questions. Let's see.

 4. For each package, generate a feature.jar file that contains the
feature.xml and META-INF that only has one plugin in it, and use our
"package" dependencies for the feature dependencies.
This is the part I don't get. Why not include *all* of the platform-specific plugin
fragments in the feature, per Eclipse convention? Each plugin fragment identifies
the platform it's intended for. Unless you're addressing the issue that the target
platform constraints (e.g. "os", "arch", etc.) aren't specific enough. But then,
regardless, how are inter-feature dependencies going to work wrt platform-
specific fragments? How is the Update Mangler going to figure out what to
install?

A. Why not make one feature that contains all plugins, which have all fragments?

Actually, this isn't what I was suggesting. Let me try to rephrase.
I'm suggesting the following structure:

- For each SDF "package" (which I take to mean an installable unit of SDF functionality):
    - A single feature, containing:
       - one plugin for the Java code (if any)
       - one plugin fragment for each target platform
       - dependencies as appropriate on other features

Does this change your answers at all?

--
Cheers,
 -- Bob