RE: [ide4edu-dev] Setting up a new developer help wiki area

Great idea Cory.

I was going to suggest something similar as it has only really struck me in the last month that a lot of things can be done through the plugin.xml file as you have mentioned on the wiki page. If possible, I would have liked this to have known more about this earlier.

I remember when we started , Wayne asked if we could note any things that would help us get up to speed faster on Eclipse development. The couple of things that I can think of are:

1.       Distinguishing between an RCP app and a plugin. Especially with regards to the out of date RCP app on the wiki page vs. the plugins that you download when you load up the team project set. Since I had no experience with RCP or plugins, I found it confusing trying to figure out how these two things fit together.

2.       I think I would have been more productive in the first half if I had been leveraging the capabilities available through the plugin.xml file. Perhaps new developers on this project should start by doing a couple weeks of tutorials (especially ones where they have to play with the plugin.xml) so that they get a good mental model of how the framework is meant to work. I found myself using the information at http://www.vogella.de/articles/RichClientPlatform/article.html a fair bit. I’ll put that link up on the page Cory has set up.

Cheers, Miles