Re: [ide4edu-dev] Stream-lining

Ideally, it'd be cool if we could come up with a way to incrementally expose the concept of a package.

It might be interesting to see workflow that automatically creates the first Java Project and package from the class-creation wizard. Subsequent uses of the wizard could expose more options. The trick is to determine how and when to do incremental exposure.

Perhaps, when the New Java Class wizard opens, it checks the workspace to see what the current state is. If the workspace is empty, the wizard just asks for the name of a class and builds everything else. If a project already exists, perhaps we can add a page to the wizard that asks for a package name. The page could include a brief description of what a package is and why you need one (maybe with some "why are namespaces important" discussion).

We could also just keep track of how many times the wizard has been opened (or successfully used) using preferences and make decisions from there. Or some combination.

This discussion probably should be moved into a bug.

FWIW, I think it's a totally valid exercise to implement this and get it wrong. We'll likely get it wrong a few times before we get it right. But it's still a worthwhile exercise.

Just some thoughts. I'd like to hear yours...

Wayne

Nil Goyette wrote:
Hi,

The concept of package in the "New class" creation wizard is hidden, so we think it might be a good idea to completely hide the concept of package. For exemple, in the project wizard, the user doesn't need to see "default package".

Nil Goyette
Maxime Caron