Re: [ide-dev] Link from inside Eclipse IDE to how to contribute

Mickael,

Comments below.

On 30.09.2017 20:49, Mickael Istria wrote:

On Saturday, September 30, 2017, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
work on the source code for any particular project [...] git clone [...] Gerrit URI [...] Oomph

All this is way too fine grain of contribution for most users.
Yes, that was my point.  And not just that it's too fine grained for most users, but also too fine grained to implement pervasively...
I would stick to a visible link to a web page that also includes testing and donations, which are a more accessible way to contribute for many users.

I'm also skeptical about who will actually do all the work to realize the good ideas in this thread...

Let's avoid turning any discussion into a resource assignment one and keep discussing and prioritizing ideas without sending pessimistic messages about our ability to deliver value from them.
Optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic, in the end good ideas need to be implemented otherwise they simply become content for a mailing list archive.  There are a lot of good ideas in this archive.
As a matter of fact, I think some of the proposals I made are simple and valuable enough for me (or maybe some teammate) to work on them in EPP with a good priority.
That's great to hear!   I think adding a link to a Contribution page on the Welcome page is an excellent idea and is most certainly an easily containable task.
Before I do so, I was curious about which ones other people would be against in order to prioritize subitems. Andrey already gave concrete feedback. Anyone else?
I agree with Andrey (except I feel the fine grained stuff is too fine grained) and I agree with Torkild (an addition to the Welcome, not a replacement for it).

It's good to ask up front because if you do anything that's too in-your-face (popups) it will definitely annoy people.  For example, with Oomph we tried the "Welcome Questionnaire" (Window -> Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks -> Start Welcome Questionnaire...) that would pop up automatically once (and never again) to address the very serious, though easily addressed problem of setting of contentious default preferences to your own personal preference, i.e., the very preferences that are general fodder for why "I hate Eclipse", but in the end that was deemed too disturbing, so the problem remains despite efforts to solve it, and that doesn't generally make a guy so very optimistic.  You can be quite sure that anything in the direction of popups is very likely to result in the same pessimistic feedback...

I expect a few of us will be willing to help provide content for a contribution page when such a page is easily reachable via your proposed implementation effort.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community