Re: [ide-dev] Benefits of integration with code server and new generic editor for average Eclipse user

Balance is a tricky thing since there is no way to measure it. It has many dimensions and no right answer. I mean that it is definitely not just about new features vs improvements to existing features. It is also about direction A vs direction B, "xxx-dev" vs "yyy-dev" and many other things.

And for me this is for sure not the conversation about what is important and what is not. In all my comments I have always used "from my personal point of view" statement which definitely means that other people have different opinions. And this is not about 2 issues I have mentioned. There are just examples. There are other examples in different areas.

As the final comment I want to say that I do not like the concept of balance in this context because it is extremely subjective in the same way the definition of importance is. I may argue that slightly better concept is that successful strategy should be built around exploiting and expanding of your existing core strengths rather on working around your current weaknesses (I apply it when I think about existing users and features for them vs let's say new generic editor). And I like the concept that I work on what I want to work on or on tasks which are defined by my employer. Main reason to like the last one is because it is very simple and it works.

I think that there is no reason to continue this email thread anymore and I will unsubscribe from this list in few minutes. Thank you for the comments.

Serhiy

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Sopot Cela <scela@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand that it is open source project and you decide what to implement.
> The reason why I wrote my original email and sent it to "ide-dev" (not
> "jdt-dev") was to express personal frustration. Frustration that some new
> things which require not trivial efforts are added to Eclipse IDE (as a
> whole) while many things which can give more value (from my personal point
> of view) to vast majority of existing Eclipse IDE users in their everyday
> work are left without attention.

Stopping all new features until all bugs are fixed and reallocating all committers to fixing issues is not something we can do. If we were to do that, there would be another 'Serhiy' expressing his frustration in late June about lack of progress in a similar fashion. You're thinking "But I'm not saying all bugs, just the important ones" - well, the practical effect is the same as you'd be surprised of the definition of 'important' when you have millions of users to keep happy, each with their own priorities.

We have a balance to strike between what we fix and what we create anew. Your input is very welcome in how we strike this balance, of course. But do recognize that however we strike this balance, there will always be frustrated people which complain that their sensitive issue was not addressed.

Sopot