Re: [ide-dev] An EclipseIDE social media account?

On 02/01/2017 03:27 PM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
But then surely you must see that calling the Twitter handle "@EclipseIDE" is at least confusing --- and probably impolite --- for the other IDE platforms also hosted by the Eclipse Foundation.
We could ask them.
@Simon @Steve @Tyler @Nedelcho: would an @EclipseIDE Twitter account focused on the "historical" Eclipse IDE seem impolite to you and your project?
I personally believe that since other IDEs are properly branded and were branded with another name since their inception, the confusion is not that strong. Users make fully difference between Che, Dirigible, Orion and what they currently still call `Eclipse`.

And even so, an underlying question is how do we remove this confusion? Some abilities to properly market the Eclipse IDE are currently stuck by the fact that there are other IDEs going on and that `Eclipse IDE` has become a too generic name after 10 years. So we would need to name the `Eclipse IDE` something else. What would be the procedure to get started? Does it require board approval? Are there alternative way to communicate about a product that we cannot even name on Twitter without risk of being confusing and impolite?

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top