Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On Sep 22, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not sure that’s the right direction. Visual Studio Code, for example does have the concept of multiple “workspaces”. You open it up in a root directory and have have multiple instances of it open at different roots. Visual Studio has the concept of Solution which is similar. Xcode, mind you, does not and you open and close projects.

The main problem here is that java projects tend to be small and numerous and there’s just too much noise if you have your IDE checked out (like I do with Momentic’s 400 projects or so from all over the Eclipse ecosystem) and then want to work with an Android app project for example which would get lost in the noise.

But yes, workspaces are a problem it would be nice to understand the root cause of those user experience problems so we can come up with something really better.

If I really had the choice: get rid of the workspaces and let me use the filesystem like every other application. If a directory has .project in it, it’s an Eclipse project, otherwise it’s just a bunch of files. Put the workspace metadata under .eclipse in my home directory. Global preferences solved. If you want to support “legacy” workspaces, allow users to specify different locations for the metadata.

Greg

Back to the top