Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 09/14/2016 12:31 AM, Patrik Suzzi wrote:
Hi All,

I just read a post entitled "The fall of Eclipse" -
http://movingfulcrum.com/the-fall-of-eclipse/.
Back to the troll, here is a Reddit discussion on this topic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/52mcf3/the_fall_of_eclipse/d7m4ql6
https://www.reddit.com/r/java/comments/53gmzq/the_fall_of_eclipse/
with a nice bashing of the stats and conclusion of the blog post, and an interesting link to another survery: http://www.baeldung.com/java-ides-2016

Reading the comments, many mention the workspace as an issue. They don't complain with the concept of IntelliJ "projects" which is equivalent.
What's usually blamed is that preferences are not stored globally. Oomph preference recorder already has it fixed, right?
I also believe that the old habit of using multiple workspaces is something that confuses users and hide the power of Eclipse. Keeping a single workspace is often simpler, and you really can have hundreds of projects open simultaneously for different languages. What could we do to "educate" existing users to not care about workspaces and always work in the same one?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top