Re: [ide-dev] [ui-best-practices-working-group] Blog Comments

On 19-Sep-2016, at 11:14 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure how to parse this comment. The e4 API effort is one of the
> reasons why RCP is still a vital and frequently selected solution for
> many new customers. 3.x RCP is heavily outdated and I have not met in
> the last 5 years a customer which started a new project with 3.X API
> but have supported lots of new 4.x API implementations.

Lars, 3.x RCP is not outdated and you do everybody a disservice saying so.

The 3.x RCP provides an excellent and well-understood UI model for applications that fit into a document-centric world.  Especially for those applications that are looking to build up an ecosystem with outside contributors.

For applications that don't fit into that editor and view-centric mould — and there are many — the 3.x RCP model is very constraining.  That's where E4 fits in.  E3.x is very opinionated view of the world; E4 has very few opinions.

I became a committer because of E4, where I was creating applications that don't fit the E3.x mould.

Brian.

Back to the top