Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 15 September 2016 at 17:07, Brian de Alwis <briandealwis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15-Sep-2016, at 11:20 AM, Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, literally the most basic of Eclipse common code: org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert, is in a bundle that requires not only OSGi but also Equinox specifically... #EpicFail
[…]
There is lots of code there that should have be refactored in into a "commons.io" library, completely independent of Eclipse code. Or better yet, it should have just used Apache Commons IO.

org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert was pulled out into such a bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.common.

Yeah, I know, and like I mentioned that bundle depends on OSGi and Equinox:

Import-Package: org.eclipse.equinox.log;version="[1.0,2.0)",org.eclips
 e.osgi.framework.log;version=
"[1.1, 2.0)",org.eclipse.osgi.service.da
 talocation,org.eclipse.osgi.
service.debug,org.eclipse.osgi.service.lo
 calization,org.eclipse.osgi.
service.urlconversion,org.eclipse.osgi.ut
 il,org.osgi.framework,org.
osgi.service.log;version="[1.3.0, 2.0)",org
 .osgi.service.packageadmin,
org.osgi.service.url,org.osgi.util.tracker

Hardly a clean abstraction (even if Assert class itself does not depend on OSGi).

And this is something that could have been cleaned-up/refactored at any time in Eclipse history - it's not a choice that was made 10-15 years ago and then Eclipse had to stick by for ages. The same could be said about other Eclipse bundles, like JFace Text, etc.