Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

Hi all, this is indeed an interesting discussion.

Loosing around 20 percent points in four years is serious, but the Eclipse IDE still stands strong. I don’t believe the fatalist voices here and elsewhere claiming that Eclipse «has lost». Yes, there are some serious issues that must be resolved. I think focussing on user experience is starting on the right path.

I just want to add one bit about the looks of Eclipse. I’m primarily using it on macOS and I think it looks pretty damn good. Especially since @2x icon support was added. There are still some issues with regards to high-DPI displays and no doubt there are other improvements that can be made. In particular to the performance of the UI. Now on Fedora (default theme) it’s a different story. It does not look as good as on macOS and there are a few annoying bugs, such as the black background on tooltips. It’s still not as bad as IDEA though, which generally performs well, but the font rendering is awful. Somehow SWT renders identical fonts much better than IDEA. Note that I use nether IDEs in dark mode.

Best regards,
Torkild
--
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Consultant / Eclipse Committer / Senior Software Developer

Back to the top