Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

Check out bug 501406 for an example of why theming is a good thing. Unless we remove the ability to do any UI customization then we're going to get inconsistency when components are reused elsewhere.

Our CSS engine is based on Batik — which seems dead — and our binding to Batik is suboptimal.  And the implementation predates SWT's SWT.Skin events and I suspect we could get a lot of mileage switching to taking advantage of it.  That's a fair bit of work.

Brian.

> On 14-Sep-2016, at 1:21 PM, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 4. Ugly as sin
>> True. Since Eclipse 4, I've always configured Eclipse to look like the
>> classic theme. Including manually have to tinker with .e4css/ files to
>> restore traditional style tabs. Nowadays, with Eclipse Neon, I just have the
>> theming engine completely disabled. Good riddance.
>
> I truly believe this is the path forward. We need the theming engine (or smth similar at editor level only) for the sake of adjusting editor highlighting colors if/when your system uses dark theme but this is not implemented yet.
> While I admire the effort spent on theming engine - putting a theming engine on top of UI library designed to mimic your OS look as much as possible can't give very good results.

Back to the top