Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 9 September 2016 at 15:24, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
In Jetbrains IDEs it is very easy to exclude folders form being parsed.
I've not used those tools, but IIRC, in JDT it's right-click > Build Path > Remove from build path. We can qualify it as very easy. I don't know how it is for Python and JS right now.

That would only be correct for a pure JDT project (ie, non-Maven, non-OSGI project). But the vast majority of "real-world" Java projects are part of either a Maven or OSGi bundle, in which case the JDT classpath is actually not meant to be edited directly, but instead is modified by some plugin sitting on top of JDT. Modifying it directly will result in breakage of some sort (usually when building the project outside of Eclipse).
Of course this might be obvious for us, but it won't be for most users. And although I haven't tried it myself, I can imagine the IntelliJ integration might be much better (ie, excluding a folder from classpath actually updates the Maven pom.xml, etc.).

Back to the top