Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 09/07/2016 05:38 PM, Carsten Reckord wrote:
It's surprising how the code completion of IntelliJ (checking target type,
frequency of calls, chain completion...) is still listed as better than
the one in Eclipse IDE. Wasn't Code Recommender providing that in all
Java-based packages?

I don't have empirical evidence, just my subjective impression, but one problem with completion that I frequently encounter in Eclipse and that IJ seems to get better is the local context that I'm working in. If there are a dozen proposals for the current completion, we often don't have to look as far as global frequency, chains and all that:

Just prefer the type that is already imported in the current class over the one that isn't, the type or variable that I've used in the line just above where I'm asking for completion over other applicable ones, the method in my current class over some external type proposal, etc.

This should be well actionable, provided we have suitable feature requests in bugzilla.
JDT should be able to apply any smarts that just require the local context.
The JDT team is aware of deficits in the context of lambda expressions,
any other improvements depend on your participation in bugzilla.

Stephan

Back to the top