Re: [ide-dev] Experiment

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/07/2016 06:05 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Yeah, you see the nice orange Downloads button and it takes you to our Downloads page. But I always like to get a bit of an overview on the thing I'm downloading before I do to make sure I'm not wasting my time and bandwidth.
So I click on the Eclipse for Java EE IDE link (I'm not doing EE but it's the first Java IDE I saw - true story, one of the young guys on our team just did that), and I get this:
Now compare that to the IntelliJ page: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Some times I feel like when I do a Gerrit push on a neat new feature, that I'm pushing it into /dev/null.

You know you can push a Gerrit review to EPP package to improve that page, right?

I'm neither a marketing guy or a web designer and have no idea how to make it right. Don't let engineers be your marketing people.

It's a fundamental flaw that's always been with Eclipse. It's not a product. I don't know why we expect it to be a product.
That's an interesting debate. I guess it's packaged as a product because it's what users expect/want. If you know a good way to get IDE users without this product facade, please suggest.
It's not an easy thing to ship a successful multi-organizations/individuals OSS IDE, but isn't it what makes it fun?

Being proud of what we've built and having happy users who really appreciated it is what makes it fun. Working with great people from across the industry is incredible too. Not sure why I'm feeling like this today but there's a general sense of frustration I'm sensing with our community and I'm just getting sucked into it I guess.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat