Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3 December 2015 at 15:06, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> For major releases, though, I’m not sure it should be automatic. But it
> definitely should be easier. It wouldn’t be hard to add a feature that check
> for the availability of the next major release and offers to set up the p2
> repos to get it. Ubuntu works this way and I felt that was a good
> experience.

Earlier in this conversation Doug mentioned Ubuntu, I think the Ubuntu
model is an excellent model to follow in this case. I agree that
auto-update should not do major version upgrade, but I think users
should be notified that there is a new major version.

Once a new major version is available, the user should be given the
opportunity to trial the upgrade, i.e. run the p2 installer with the
new update sites, but stop short of doing the install. If that passes
and satisfies the user, the update sites configured should be updated
to the new version as part of the upgrade.

​​
In summary +1 for doing auto-updates and +1 for the Ubuntu model.

+1​
 for that suggestion too :)

Back to the top