Re: [ide-dev] Implicit editor saving and Auto Building in Eclipse

I don’t want to be a spoiler, but note that IDEA can do auto-save because it does not auto-build. Instead the compilation only takes place if you explicitly trigger it, e.g. by trying to run the application. You don’t see any compile errors in affected files that you haven’t touched in the same session immediately as in Eclipse due to its auto-build.

If you auto-save and auto-build, it is likely you have to synchronize the two and get UI stalls or get ugly race conditions. Given that I still see modal dialogs in Eclipse from time to time telling me that I have to wait for the build until I can go on editing my files I doubt whether the entire auto-save in Eclipse thing is a good idea.

But I’d be happy to be convinced of the opposite.

Cheers
Jan

—
Dr. Jan Köhnlein
Senior Software Architekt

Mobile: +49 (0) 151 / 17396687
Telefon: +49 (0) 431 / 99026870
Fax: +49 (0) 431 / 99026872

http://www.itemis.de
jan.koehnlein@xxxxxxxxx

itemis AG
Niederlassung Kiel
Am Germaniahafen 1
24143 Kiel
http://www.itemis.de/

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Michael Neuhaus, Jennifer Fiorentino