Re: [ide-dev] How good is HTML5 support?

Mike,

On 2015-10-25 17:36, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
What we have discussed is that the IP process sometimes gets in the way of our ability to compete.

competing IDEs (e.g. the one that will force their user to pay for an annual subscription soon)
clearly distinguish between their plugins and 3rd party plugins (screenshots taken form PyCharm):

So, I don't really understand why eclipse cannot clearly mark plugins and installable
entities as 3rd party?

Also note that their installation UI is much simpler than the eclipse installation
dialogs (think about the confusion create by the update manager vs the marketplace).
This is their installation UI (that pops up when you click on one of the two
marked buttons above):

I think the eclipse eco-system is very rich, but for a consumer it is very hard to
- find the right plugin
- decide which ones to use (decision fatigue)
- actually install/uninstall the plugins

There is a whole new generation of developers that are used either type
`npm install foobar` or go to an app-store and do a one-click
installation/deinstallation. Compared to that, the eclipse installation
pain feel like a relict form the ancient times (windows XP).

If I had to spend money to enhance the eclipse eco-system, I would spend
most of the money into a better installation story (OOMPH+) and a moderated
catalog of solid (proven, certified, whatever high quality) plugins.

Michael