Re: [ide-dev] Interesting way of laying out editor tabs

On 1 May 2015, at 21:39, Doug Schaefer wrote:

Hey gang,

I’ve been playing with VS Code for a little bit. It’s really basic at the moment. But one feature that caught my eye is how it organizes the list of open editors. It doesn’t use tabs like a lot of IDEs do. Instead, it keeps a list of open editors in the “Project Explorer” equivalent, as the top element of the tree.

got a screenshot ?

Now I often have 10+ editors open at a time and it’s a nightmare to manage them with the tabs. You can never find the editor you want, even once the MRU battle concluded, it’s still too hard.

I find Cmd+E and Cmd+3 pretty good at showing the list of recent files and if I could I would go for getting back my real estate rather than need another view. Would it be something better integrated into project explorer as a top level node in projects instead of a new view ?

/max

I might give this a try once Mars is done and maybe create an Opened Editors view that can be placed just above the Project/Package Explorer to see how well this works. Has anyone seen a plug-in that does that already?

Doug.