[ide-dev] Interesting way of laying out editor tabs

Hey gang,

I’ve been playing with VS Code for a little bit. It’s really basic at the moment. But one feature that caught my eye is how it organizes the list of open editors. It doesn’t use tabs like a lot of IDEs do. Instead, it keeps a list of open editors in the “Project Explorer” equivalent, as the top element of the tree.

Now I often have 10+ editors open at a time and it’s a nightmare to manage them with the tabs. You can never find the editor you want, even once the MRU battle concluded, it’s still too hard.

I might give this a try once Mars is done and maybe create an Opened Editors view that can be placed just above the Project/Package Explorer to see how well this works. Has anyone seen a plug-in that does that already?

Doug.

Back to the top