Re: [ide-dev] Project News Notifications in Eclipse?

> On 12 Feb 2015, at 15:43, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 12/02/2015 9:30 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:
>>
>>> I agree 100% but shouldn't we at least try to make sure we are using what we have today? If we create a new shiny channel, it is not clear we will actually use it.
>> I didn't have in mind to create another channel with dedicated content/governance and so on, but more to make usual channels (Foundation news, project news, PlanetEclipse and others) visible inside the IDE through RSS.
>> As you said this already exists for the Foundation news, it seems to be mainly a matter of rethinking where and when user would like to see such news. What about showing those news as notifications just like Facebook or Google+ do with some red icon when there is new content to read? It seems to be a good compromise between high visibility and low intrusion.
>
> Excellent. I am all for getting the Foundation news feed included in as many places as possible.  :-)

This sounds like a general +1 for putting feed content into the IDE. Sources can be any RSS feed. This certainly needs some kind of UI to allow users manage feeds and some not-so-much intrusive way to notify them about news. This is the next interesting discussion.

The tip of the day proposal already got some - 1. Mylyn style notification popups may also be a bit too intrusive IMHO.
I was thinking about a system tray icon, or toolbar item - only visible when there are news.

Is there a big -1 for using the system tray?

Marcel

Back to the top