Re: [ide-dev] Project News Notifications in Eclipse?

Ian, John,

We would have to be very careful to keep the news minimal and relevant to a broad set of the community.

I think this is were we have different use cases and why I’d propose a (slightly) different approach.

I think that there is not *one* news channel that can serve all needs. Instead, I’d like to enable projects to get in touch with their community directly in the IDE and allow users to customize which news they are interested.

My initial proposal to use an extension point would require that a project’s plugin is already installed in the user’s IDE. This filters out those users that never got in touch with your projects and thus are likely not interested in your news.

There might be other ways, e.g., there might be some aggregation service similar to PlanetEclipse where projects can post articles and users can subscribe to them in their IDE. We may also combine it with existing channels Ian has in mind that we do not leverage them enough.

From the feedback I saw yet, it looks like that *in general* all agree with having project-specific news inside the IDE. Is that correct?
If so, I’m happy and would like to continue who provides the content, whether there is an (EF) editor needed for project specific news or whether every project can determine itself what it will provide. In addition, if we would enable external parties to contribute their news, it cannot be managed by EF staff - right?

Ian,
do we need an editor for news? Or would you leave it to the projects / plug-in providers to decide whats interesting for their community?

After we know about these constraints, IMHO, we can much better talk about the *how*.

Thanks,
Marcel