From: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Michael Scharf
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:25 AM
To: Discussions about the IDE
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

absolutely agreed! I said:

> > I think there should be a policy to *not* show modal error dialogs
> > unless it is really fatal, like data is lost or the application runs
> > out of memory.

> Don't omit error dialog:
>
> 1. A complete failure of the primary function of a wizard or an action
>
> 2. java.lang.Error (OOM, stack overflow, etc)

I don't think a stack overflow should  show the error dialog. What can the
user do? Unless it constantly happens, occasional unhandled Errors should
not pop up the error dialog. Out Of Memory is different, because the IDE
gets unusable after that error.

Therefore, I agree with Eric:

+1 for not showing an error dialog unless it's the one that says "Would
+you like to exit eclipse?"y the

The error dialog only pops up, if there is an exception thrown that was not
anticipated by the responsible plugin(s). The user cannot do much, unless
maybe to remove the responsible plugin. But finding the 'bad guy' is not
easy and most users won't be able to do that....

Michael

> - Konstantin

IDE.