Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

Am 15.10.2014 um 19:25 schrieb Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>:

> On 2014-10-15, 1:10 PM, "Marcel Bruch" <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> Is this an issues specific to STS or something people are seeing with
>>> base EPP packages? Sounds like a flaky plugin to me, but hard to say
>>> from lack of detail.
>>

>> I can at least confirm that we receive a fair amount of NPEs from
>> com.springsource.ide and related plugins every day.
>> But what do I knowŠ I see many of them these daysŠ
>>
>> Marcel
>
> That speaks to a need we identified many years ago but never caught any
> energy, the need to have a central interop testing facility that would
> hopefully help identify things like this.

What exactly is this „central interop testing facility“?

> I¹m at a loss for answers. We talk a lot about the issues but there¹s
> never any action to address them. We are severely resource depleted from
> what I can tell and I¹m not sure how we bring people and, more
> importantly, companies who pay people, back to the table.

Well, while there is no immediate solution, every project should consider the use of classes like Guava’s or Java 8 Optional.
With that we could decrease the number of error reports by up to 10.7% ;)

Marcel

java.lang.RuntimeException x 938 (23,9 %)
java.lang.NullPointerException x 421 (10,7 %)
java.io.IOException x 238 (6,1 %)
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException x 206 (5,3 %)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException x 187 (4,8 %)
HIDDEN x 161 (4,1 %)
org.eclipse.recommenders.internal.stacktraces.rcp.StandInStacktraceProvider$StandInException x 138 (3,5 %)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException x 110 (2,8 %)
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException x 99 (2,5 %)
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException x 87 (2,2 %)
java.io.FileNotFoundException x 86 (2,2 %)
org.eclipse.equinox.security.storage.StorageException x 81 (2,1 %)
com.google.inject.internal.util.$ComputationException x 80 (2,0 %)
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException x 80 (2,0 %)
java.lang.SecurityException x 78 (2,0 %)
org.osgi.framework.BundleException x 69 (1,8 %)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError x 65 (1,7 %)
org.eclipse.recommenders.utils.Logs$LogTraceException x 61 (1,6 %)
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError x 51 (1,3 %)
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException x 46 (1,2 %)
java.lang.ClassCastException x 38 (1,0 %)