Re: [ide-dev] Inconsistent Eclipse user experience

I'm working on a similar system with Ericsson. We will be open sourcing it later this year (hopefully before June). The overall goal is to help the Ericsson Eclipse support team better serve its users by detecting the plugins that are the most frequently used (similar to UDC), but more importantly detect problems (UI freezes, error logs, workspace blockage) so we can be proactive and fix those because our users typically don't go and report problems neither to the foundation nor to our internal team.

What needs to be considered when putting together such a solution (even if it is reduced to just collect error logs) is the amount of data this represents, and consequently the bandwidth, the computation and of course the storage required. In addition to these technical aspects, there is of course the obvious questions of who is going to take care of the problems coming in, who is going to have access to the data, and whether the data will be accessible to everybody who request it since it may contain product specific information and give hints about the competition.

Pascal