From: Marcel Bruch
Sent: Sunday, March 9, 2014 5:37 AM
To: Discussions about the IDE
Reply To: Discussions about the IDE
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Inconsistent Eclipse user experience

Hi,

> Food for thought.

FWIW, I’m currently thinking about a service that allows users to share/export Eclipse preferences in a global repository - and allows them to reimport those, for instance, into new workspaces etc.

Based on that data, I’d like to create some stats and a tiny recommender that tells users which preference others used frequently (e.g. enabling auto-refresh and the like) and seamlessly integrate these recommendations into the UI (somehow). I'm also thinking about sharing common „preference profiles“ developers may use in their IDE and a couple things more.

Please find a *very drafty* draft of the idea here [1]. I’m aware of a couple of approaches to sharing preferences (see „Related approaches“ section in that document) but feel free to add more if you know some.

Best,
Marcel

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SJ7OT7JKYdyCQptlXY-KKC5WuwQM9UbgOz2ThiaEAN4/edit?usp=sharing