Re: [iam-dev] Support for locally installed maven

The main benefit of using the external maven (in my eyes) is to avoid regressions in the 3.0 codebase. Also, I've heard that not all the features in 2.x will be available in 3.x (replaced by other mechanisms....).

Performance-wise, using an external maven should be "good enough" for running goals (maybe an small performance losss due to launching a new VM). What's complicated is to use an external maven for metadata handling (reading and resolving dependencies, registration of IAM- specific components in the plexus embedder....).

The problem with permgen during project import will only be resolved by an external embedder if we can use it for resolving dependencies during the import... which I think would be hard, but haven't looked at the problem so I can't really tell.

Allan, why don't you try to explore the possibilities (specially for all the uses of the embedder during the import, which is the main problem you describe) and report back?