[hyades-dev] IMPORTANT Re: TPTP (aka Hyades) 3.3 and 4.0 Plan Finalization

Team,

As Tyler suggests we are currently dealing with a small number of requirements issues relating to the 3.3 and 4.0 plans. A crucial change was made at the planning meeting that in order to get rid of a "bulge" in the resource we needed to apply in Q1 next year, we would reschedule 3.3 so that it happens in June at the same time as the 4.0 release. The reason for maintaining the two releases is that some consumers will want to take the 4.0 release with all its new features on top of the Eclipse 3.1 base, but soeme will not be able to do so because, for example, they anticipate being deployed as plug-ins into a pre-installed Eclipse 3.0.x base.

However, at the point at which we were gathering requirements the expectation was that our 3.3 release was to happen in March, and so there were two reasons they may have been targeted to that release
a) they required a 3.0.x Eclipse base
b) they were required in March.

Come what may the release is not going to happen in march, so at this stage we would like to identify any enhancement requests currently targeted at 3.3 which do not require a 3.0.x eclipse base. These enhancement requests will be retargeted to 4.0 which will reduce the amount of dual maintenance we have to do on them (because of structural changes at this release, the dual maintenance overhead is significant).

So, please can you identify to me by email or through a requirements group representative from your company any 3.3 enhancement requests we can retarget to 4.0. This applies to all priorities whether committed to plan or not. I need your responses by Wednesday of next week so that the Requirements group can synthesize its input on thursday. As a carrot, the reduction in dual maintenance workload may mean some additional P2 enhancement requests make it into 4.0.

Thanks,

Mike

Tyler Thessin wrote:

Folks,

For the last couple of months, our TPTP Requirements, Architecture, and
Planning Groups have been defining plans for the TPTP 3.3 and 4.0 releases
for which we are nearing completion.

You can find the targeted list of enhancements for each of these releases on
our website:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextools.cgi/~checkout~/hyades-home/docs/unapproveddrafts/project%20info/plans/3+/TPTPFeatures.html
(click on 3.3 and 4.0 tabs for respective list of targeted enhancements).

"In Plan" = "Committed" indicates the enhancement is included in the
respective plan.  "Priority" = "P1" and "In Plan" = "Pending" will be
resolved prior to finalizing the plan.  "Priority" = "P2" or "P3" and "In
Plan" = "Pending" generally means that one should not assume that these
requests will be addressed in the plan.

Our next steps toward finalizing these plans are as follows:
- Requirements Group: Finalize another update to our 2005 TPTP Themes.
- Requirements Group: Finalize assignment of 3.3 / 4.0 enhancement requests
to TPTP Themes.
- Requirements Group: Confirm whether any further 3.3 requirements can be
moved to 4.0.
- Architecture Group: Finalize any remaining / questionable enhancement
effort sizings.
- Architecture Group: Finalize mapping of enhancement implementation to plan
iteration cycles.

Our plan to the finalize the TPTP 3.3 and 4.0 plans includes completion of
the above steps by Thursday, December 16, followed by Planning Group
approval Friday, December 17, and announcement at the Committer Call Monday,
December 20.

(!) Change from tentative roadmap: We had previously tentatively targeted
the TPTP 3.3 release for March 2005, however in our current plan proposal,
we have deferred this release to June 2005.  Why you ask would we target a
simultaneous TPTP 3.3 and a 4.0 for June 2004?  First, some clarifications:
TPTP 3.3 and 4.0 will be respectively based on the Eclipse Platform 3.0 and
3.1 (the TPTP 4.0 feature set will be inclusive of the TPTP 3.3 feature set,
however the TPTP 3.3 feature set will be minimized to support only those
consumers that cannot move to Eclipse Platform 3.1 in that timeframe).  Our
TPTP 3.0 release is required because some consumers require some TPTP
enhancements which we cannot complete until June 2005, but they cannot move
to the Eclipse Platform 3.1 (i.e., they cannot just use TPTP 4.0).  At the
same time, other consumers need a different set of TPTP enhancements and
Eclipse Platform 3.1 support, and the June time constraint.

We welcome your feedback on these proposed plans.

Thanks to Mike Norman and the entire TPTP Requirements Group for
gathering/targeting community enhancement requests, Harm Sluiman and the
entire Architecture Group for evaluating and sizing the requests, and the
Planning Group for working through resource allocation and constraints as
needed to define these plans.  Also, thanks in advance for your feedback on
the plans.

--tyler

Back to the top