Re: [hyades-dev] Load Testing with TPTP

Tejas,

I should clarify my response.  I was responding both in the context of current implementation (not potential or architecture enablement) and also in the broad sense of load testing comprising more than just simultaneous test execution, but implying ability to easily schedule multiuser playbacks, measure and analyze response times, and report on response times and thruput.

URL Test allows you to specify the number of users (i.e. concurrent clients threads) when you invoke the test (without modifying the test itself).  The JUnit test invocatoin doesn't do that (although it could without much additional work), but you can achieve a very similar effect yourself by simply putting an asynchronous loop of N iterations around the body of an existing JUnit test, where N is the number of simulatenous threads that you wish to execute the test body.   If you want to change the number of simlutaneous threads, you edit the test.

So you can use current Hyades/TPTP to create JUnit tests to drive your application and use asynchronous loops within those tests to apply a parallel load that simulates concurrent client requests.   You won't get response time measurement, analysis, and reporting out-of-the-box, but you will be able to stress your app under load.

Kent

Kent Siefkes
Rational Software
IBM Software Group
Phone: 919-486-3233,  IBM T/L  526-323

Kent D Siefkes/Raleigh/IBM

12/02/2004 07:25 AM

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [hyades-dev] Load Testing with TPTPLink

Hi Tejas,

Hyades/TPTP only supports load testing of browser (http) based applications.  That is done through the HTTP proxy recorder for recording and URL Test for playback.

Kent

Kent Siefkes
Rational Software
IBM Software Group
Phone: 919-486-3233,  IBM T/L  526-323

"Patel, Tejas G" <Tejas.Patel@xxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/02/2004 05:42 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

<hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[hyades-dev] Load Testing with TPTP

Hi,

I have one stand-alone Java application (kind of service application) which is not browser based.

I want to do the load testing of this application on the same machine where the application is located.

Is it possible to load test it through Hyades/TPTP? If yes then how to do that? Does it have a specific UI?

Any pointers on this will greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejas Patel
Computer Associates
Software Engineer