[hyades-dev] JUnit support poster, was: EclipseCon Poster Receptions - submission request

Melanie.Woods Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:54:24 +0000
>> A couple of evening receptions are planned for EclipseCon 2005
>> (Tuesday, March 1st and Wednesday, March 2nd) where it will be
>> possible to present posters outlining specific areas of interest
>> within Eclipse to attendees. The TPTP marketing group would like to
>> encourage TPTP contributors to propose ideas for poster sessions
>> for these two evening receptions

I believe a presentation on TPTP's JUnit support, particularly of
extensions, would be of interest. IMHO

* most eclipse developers know JUnit, but not TPTP

* those eclipse developers that do know something about TPTP don't
  know much, and particularly don't see how it solves any of their
  current problems.

so showing eclipse developers how TPTP can help them use JUnit more
flexibly would help sell them on TPTP.

I often see posts on the junit and java-gui-testing lists of the form,
"how do I make JUnit <perform some complex feat of test running>?", or
"how do I use JUnit to test <some domain>?" Sometimes the concerns are
intertwined, like this post yesterday on java-gui-testing from a guy
who wants to do JUnit-based remote execution of headless, GUI and web
tests:

> in some cases the UI Java app has to be launched, in others a web
> client (I assume..dont know enough about httpUnit), and in our code,
> the unit tests. The UI I have built will allow rapid assembly of
> testcases and promotes reuse of automation "parts".

> So your idea intrigues me, but I am not entirely sure if it will
> work. How would I farm a small set of tests to each location to run?
> Before you answer, my guess is I have a different build script for
> each of those servers, that specifically runs a set of tests. The
> results, which I assume JUnit itself can produce and the ant
> <junitreport> task spits out, go to a central server where we can
> see ALL tests? I guess my concern is, since my harness breaks
> testcases down into parts, each of which are junit TestCase
> subclasses, I need to run them through my TestRunner of my harness
> in order to work. I can now get the TestResult back, so I suppose
> the next step is just finding out how I can output the xml that
> <junitreport> will use to generate the html? If so, what's the trick
> there?

People really wanna do this stuff! so let's show them how to do it
with our stuff.

>> - and to volunteer to present these posters.

That's a little harder :-) FWIW, I have a presentation submission in,
and, presuming that

* it gets accepted

* Messrs Guilbaud or Canches (etc) aren't available to present on
  JUnit support

I'd be willing to present on TPTP JUnit support.

FWIW, Tom Roche, IBM Rational Developer Model2 Tooling, abbot admin

Back to the top