[hyades-dev] TPTP UI meeting notes (Nov. 17, 2004)

Meeting notes from this week's TPTP UI meeting:

Agenda:

1. Define a consistent approach for flat-look editors that have a tree where you can add siblings and children. Different editors in TPTP (Hyades) are doing this differently, so we need to find the right way to do this and use it across the board.

2. Discuss paging in views. Some of our views, like the log view, have the idea of paging. This is used to limit the amount of data being shown in the view at any time. Because this is something we'd probably want to do in most (if not every) view, we should come up with a standard way to present it.

Attendees
:

Alex Nan
Curtis d'Entremont
David Hodges
Eugene Chan
Marius Slavescu
Martin Boag
Patrick Nedelec
Terry Fountoulakis
Wayne Ho

(incomplete list - I apologize for not catching all your names)

Time
:

Wednesday, Nov. 17, 12:00pm (noon) EST.

Notes
:

Here are the conclusions reached from the discussion on flat-look editors with trees:

1. The following buttons should appear in all flat-look tree editors (in this order and with these specific names): Add, Insert, Remove, Up, Down.
2. The add button adds an appropriate item (editor-specific) one level down from the selected item (a child), at the end of the list of children.
3. The insert button inserts an item immediately after the selected item (a sibling).
4. Tooltips should be present on the buttons, and are editor-specific.
5. The items in the context menus should perform exactly the same operations as the corresponding button in the editor.
6. Cut/Copy/Paste actions should be enabled (drag-and-drop too?)

On a related note, it was noted that not all editors follow the same flat-editor look. Eclipse now has guidelines for flat-look editors, which should be followed. It is suggested to use EMF-based editors, as they provide much of the implementation for free, and already adhere to the guidelines (mostly, if not completely). Alex Nan to open a feature request for this.

On the topic of paging, the rationale and approaches to paging were discussed, but there were no major conclusions due to lack of time. The discussion will continue in a later meeting.

Since we're closing down i2, there won't be a meeting next week unless there are urgent topics to discuss.

Thanks,
Curtis d'Entremont
Problem Determination Tools
IBM Toronto Lab