Re: [hyades-dev] Hyades-Http Proxy Recorder Problem

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks for your question.  Please tell me specifically what about my response you did not understand so I can make it easier to understand.  I just got a response back from Tejas Patel saying he followed my instructions and was able to record successfully.  Since my screenshots did not make it into the mailing list response, that may have lead to some confusion.  I will include the screenshots in this response.  These pictures really help illustrate the point I made.

I will include my response to Tejas Patel (with the screenshots) to you, then explain  the error message you received.

Here is the original response (including screenshots) :

I am responding to your question you posted to hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx related to using the Hyades Proxy recorder through an HTTP Proxy.

First  you will need to set IE parameters to point to your HTTP Proxy (before loading Eclipse and the Rational Performance Tester).  Load IE, then go to Tools->Internet Options->LAN Settings.  You should check the box for "Use proxy server for your LAN ...", and set the Address and Port for your HTTP Proxy.  An example is shown below.  You may also want to click on the Advanced button to make sure that "Socks" is not set.   After setting this option,  I suggest you test IE to make sure the HTTP Proxy and port are correct and you can load any website.

The next thing you should do is load Rational Performance Tester and set your preferences for the HTTP Proxy recorder.  From RPT, go to Window->Preferences->Test->HTTP Proxy Recorder.  Set "Proxy Recorder Local Port" to 1080.  You can set this to another port if you know that 1080 is already used.  Do not set this to Port 80, since many other applications use this as their default port, and the Recorder opens the port in non-sharing mode.  Then click on Apply, then OK.

After finishing these two steps, you  should be able to record successfully.    Let me know if you have any other problems.

When you get the error "HTTP Proxy set and Secure Proxy not set", this means that while the HTTP Proxy was set correctly (seen in the "Advanced" Proxy settings dialog, the "Secure" setting was blank.  If you use the inital screen to set the Proxy Settings (see 1st screen shot), then whatever Proxy Address/Port you enter in the initial screen will be used for other protocols (see below).  Since we route both SSL and non-SSL traffic to the same proxy server, we need both of these set to the same address/port.  If they are not the same, we can not record successfully.

NOTE:  The screen shot below is by clicking on "Advanced" button on the LAN Settings - Proxy Server" screen

To solve the problem you are experiencing, you can do 1 of the following:

1)  Set the Proxy Server from the LAN Settings screen as shown in the first screenshot above

OR

2).  From the Advanced screen, for the "Secure" Type set the Proxy address/Port to use the same as the "HTTP" type.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Mark D. Dunn

Back to the top