Re: [hyades-dev] performance of hyades profiling

Sebastien,

The performance of the profiler is directly proportional to the amount of
data you are trying to collect at any point in time.  We have designed the
profiler so that when you are not actively monitoring an application the
overhead is negligible.  As you start turning up the knobs the end user
impact will increase.  In order to address this in the analysis, we also
collect the amount of overhead introduced by the profiler.  This overhead
is then removed from the analysis view.

You can tweek the performance by modifying the data collection engine to
have larger data buffers.  This will help with the responsiveness when
large amounts of data are being collected.

Richard K. Duggan
Problem Determination Enablement
IBM Toronto Laboratory
External: 905-413-2396
Internal: 969-2396

             Sébastien Mathy
             <sebastien.mathy@
             kereval.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             hyades-dev-admin@                                          cc
             eclipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [hyades-dev] performance of hyades
             10/01/2004 10:15          profiling
             AM

             Please respond to
                hyades-dev

Hi,
I'm trying to profile a standalone java application whith Hyades. This
application counts the words of a file using different implementation.
When I execute this application without profiling it takes about 5
seconds. When I execute it with profiling agent (locally or remotly) it
takes about 20 seconds. I have unchecked the instance level information
and I have set correct filters.
I use :  - Hyades and RAC version 3.0.1
              - SUN JVM 1.4.2
              - Eclipse 3.0

Have I done something wrong?
Have you some informations about the impact of Hyades profiling tool on
the SUT?

Regards
--
Sebastien Mathy
(See attached file: sebastien.mathy.vcf)