RE: [hyades-dev] XML-based command data

The whole pipeline is meant to be replaceable.  That’s all I meant by saying “primary”.

-Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Victor Havin
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 1:42 PM
To: hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [hyades-dev] XML-based command data

Using XML as the primary format assumes there is an alternative format.
Do you want to reserve a possibility to send unformatted binary stream through the command pipe?
With that in mind I vote 'yes' on XML.

--Victor

"Kaylor, Andrew" <andrew.kaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/21/2004 09:14 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

<hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [hyades-dev] XML-based command data

We definitely need to account for large volumes of data, but my question is whether we can use only the data channel for these large blocks and assume that the control channel will only be used for small blocks.  I thought I understood Harm to be saying that there was some need for large amounts of data on the control channel, but maybe I misunderstood.

I believe the issue with encoding the data into a standard XML stream is the time it would take to perform the decoding (which is probably a serious issue for the control channel).  On the other hand, the problem with not encoding the data is that non-encoded streams would be rejected by IT filters in the firewall scenario.

Anyway, I feel like this is heading down a rabbit trail.

The real question I want to get answered is, should we pursue XML as our primary format for the control channel?

I’d appreciate if everyone with an interest in this could drop a quick ‘yes’ or ‘no’ (just so I’m clear on where we are) and also voice their particular concerns if applicable.  We can address the particular concerns as necessary on this list.

-Andy