From: apratt [mailto:apratt@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 21 September 2004 19:23
To: hyades-dev
Subject: RE: [hyades-dev] XML-based command data

Andrew wrote:
> I?d appreciate if everyone with an interest in this could drop a quick

?yes? or ?no?

Yes.

I think the chief advantages that a binary protocol can't touch are:
        traffic logging and analysis by humans and generic components
that
don't know particular command interfaces
        extensibility while maintaining backward version compatibility
(old client, new agent) by using defaults for missing parameters

I think all other semantic issues could be satisfied equally by a binary

vs. XML encoding. There are tradeoffs for optimization in various
dimensions, but they're the same in underlying capabilities.

-- Allan Pratt, apratt@xxxxxxxxxx
Rational software division of IBM