Re: [hyades-dev] java.exe in raserver serviceconfig.xml on unix

Yes, this entry in the serviceconfig.xml is required because it describes the configuration of the application the DCE uses to launch java programs, namely the java executable.

Dave N. Smith
Data Collection Tooling
IBM Toronto Laboratory
D3/RNQ/8200/MKM
External: 905-413-3916
Tieline: 969-3916
smith@xxxxxxxxxx

Robert Danek/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/15/2004 10:36 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Samson Wai/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
Re: [hyades-dev] java.exe in raserver serviceconfig.xml on unix

I believe this should be there as is. The executable in that XML element (i..e., executable="java.exe") is not the executable on the system, but rather a label used when communicating with the RAC to describe what process should be executed. The other attributes of the "<Application>" element (i.e. location, and path) point to variables that are set earlier on in serviceconfig.xml and are defined appropriately for the given platform. For example, on one of our linux systems:

       <Application configuration="default" executable="java.exe" location="%SYS_TEMP_DIR%" path="%JAVA_PATH%"/>

where %SYS_TEMP_DIR% and %JAVA_PATH% are defined as :

               <Variable name="JAVA_PATH" position="replace" value="/opt/IBMJava2-141/bin/../jre/bin/java"/>

               <Variable name="SYS_TEMP_DIR" position="replace" value="/tmp"/>

Regards,

Robert Danek
Problem Determination Tools
IBM Toronto Lab
(905)413-4825
T/L: 969-4825
email: rdanek@xxxxxxxxxx

Kim Coleman <kcoleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: hyades-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/15/2004 12:43 AM

Please respond to
hyades-dev

hyades-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[hyades-dev] java.exe in raserver serviceconfig.xml on unix

If you look at the serviceconfig.xml that gets generated by running SetConfig.sh on un*x, there's a blob o' xml that looks like this:

<Application configuration="default" executable="java.exe".../>

Presumably, this is never used by anything or we would have noticed by now. Unix JRE's generally don't include something called "java.exe". :-)

Is this a bug? e.g. Should I file it? And is the defect that it references java.exe on unix or that it is generating an (apparently) completely superfluous piece of config info?

-Kim

Kim Coleman
PurifyPlus Development
IBM Rational Software, Cupertino, CA