[hyades-dev] Hyades UI meeting minutes

Meeting notes from this week's Hyades UI meeting:

Topic
:

Discuss ways to organize the new perfmon-related launch configuration types for hosts and J2EE application servers. Currently there is one separate type for each type of host (Windows, Linux) and for each J2EE app server. Two options put forward are grouping the types into more general launch configurations (host, j2ee app server) or requesting the addition of categories to the launch configuration dialog.

Attendees
:
Antony Miguel

Curtis d'Entremont
Eugene Chan
Geary Ridings
Wayne Ho

Time
:

Wednesday, Sept. 8, 12:00pm (noon) EST
.

Notes
:

Due to lack of time in 3.1, the following quick changes will be made:

1. Change the names of the launch configuration types. For the hosts, it will go from "Linux Host" to "Host - Linux", and same for Windows. The idea here is to have them grouped next to each other rather than having them scattered all over. Same thing for the J2EE app servers, we will use "J2EE App Server - JBoss" instead of "JBoss JMX Trace".
2. Change the field for "RAC" in the launch configuration tab. When the name is decided for the general RAC (Hyades/IBM) we can use this name. If all else fails, we can use "Agent Controller".
3. Set the default profile project name "ProfileProject", like the default monitor name (it was blank by default on Eugene's machine).

Future todos:

1. Reuse the "Host" launch configuration tab from other types like "Attach - Java Process" and "External Java Application". Currently the user can't set the RAC port, only the host. (bug to be opened by Antony for tracking)
2. Explore ways to combine various types of profiling in a general way. For example, users may want to be using the perfmon to monitor memory usage while analyzing for leaks. Currently these are two entirely separate steps. This will involve mixing agents and the UI in a single step.  (bug to be opened by me for tracking)
3. Discuss the problem of categorizing launch configuration types with the Eclipse debug folks. Currently if we want to group several launch configuration types into a single one, as I proposed earlier for the hosts and j2ee app servers, there is no standard mechanism to do this; everyone has their own custom implementation. It would be useful if the launch configuration dialog provided a mechanism for doing this grouping or categorizing. (to be initiated by me)

Thanks,
Curtis d'Entremont
Problem Determination Tools
IBM Toronto Lab