RE: [hyades-dev] The state of the HCE project

I just got back from a week of vacation, and it appears a lot has
happened during that week.  I haven't read all of the messages on the
mailing list, but I have read all in this thread.  If it seems like I
missed something, it may be that I have.

That having been said, I personally do not think it is time to panic,
but by all means lets talk about whatever concerns anyone has.  I've
felt for some time that I had a pretty good idea of the shape of what we
were trying to create, and it seemed like what we were doing fit that
shape.  Perhaps not everyone shared the same vision.  We should
definitely talk about that.

As a bit of background, I've attached the original proposal that I sent
out in March that sent us down the current path.  These were the Intel
requirements, and in talking with Richard, it seemed like there was a
fair amount of overlap with other groups he had spoken with.  To this
have been added various other concerns that have come up along the way
and not been documented, but which we have attempted to account for in
the design.

My original intention was to modify the existing RAC as little as
necessary.  It seemed like the external protocol could be modified
without having to change the core of the server code.  However, one of
the "concerns along the way" that I referred to above was Richard's
feeling (if I have understood correctly) that the current RAC was a
simple component that had been pushed beyond the limits of what it was
originally meant to do.  And so, since we were introducing a new
protocol, this seemed like a good time to introduce some broader changes
that would build in some growing room for future expansion.  The message
pipeline architecture grew out of our discussions in this area.

It seems to me that it is in working in this message pipeline
architecture that we have crossed the line from expanding the current
RAC to essentially replacing it.  I personally feel that this was a
right decision as it puts us in a good position going forward.  The
specific requirements behind it were the need for a pluggable transport
layer, and the possibility of supporting SOAP based protocols in the
future (I'm not clear to what extent this second part is a hard
requirement).

As for what we are replacing, we are only replacing the low-level
protocol directly between the Hyades client core and the server, and
between the server and the agents.  It has been the plan all along to
maintain compatibility within the client interfaces so that existing
client-side code would work with the new client talking to the new
server.  I'm not sure we've written that down anywhere.  As for the
agents, I don't think we've addressed that directly.

There have been specific conversations about the overall transition
plan, and I thought that it was agreed upon.

Have I missed any specific areas that anyone wants to cover?

-Andy